Guy Food

Guy Food

Friday, April 24, 2015

Eating Raw is not for Brainy Guys





Eating raw is not always best.


I am smiling and keep on. Especially since a landmark study published in 2002 in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry first showed that a powerful antioxidant called lycopene is released from tomatoes when they’re cooked agrees with what I already knew just listening to my mom.

The study found that heating tomatoes at 190.4 degrees for 30 minutes boosted levels of absorbable lycopene by 35 percent. Lycopene has been shown to help reduce the risk of cancer, heart disease and macular degeneration, a degenerative eye disease. In addition, a study published in The British Journal of Nutrition found that folks following a long-term raw-food diet had low levels of lycopene.

Let's consider that 2002 was more than twelve years ago. Interesting is that the rage is eating raw veggies on our plates and in our smoothies. Didn't anybody read that 2002 study? If I haven't blogged it then I should have blogged that eating raw is not always the best. People are surprised. How would you know?  Being brainy about food sometimes means listening to your mom and or grandmother who have been cooking and serving food longer than most newbie experts and definitely listening to your own body is the best advice.

As for my own eating experiences, I cannot eat and will not eat raw veggies. In fact, they are like poison to my body. I figure, if I were a rabbit, then I guess I would. But I am not. I also live by the wisdom that if it does not smell good or look good; forget it. I am not eating it.

Now that information was given to us over thousands of years ago by earlier man who used his eyes and nose. How did doctors and the nutritionists of today miss that?

So, let us return to the advice of good old fashioned experts ~ like the Brainy Guy!
Cook before you eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment